Grandma

Grandma
Grandma

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Matter of Time



The 30 minutes we lost at the onset of our trip didn't initially seem to be an issue.  It also didn't seem to be a problem when my youngest needed to stop 15 minutes after each of our stops, and my oldest needed to stop 15 minutes after each of his brother's pit stops, when their bowels finally kicked in.  However, when we finally reached our first destination 2 hours late, those inconveniences added up to a very late night. 

That late night in turn added up to a late start the next day, which meant that we did not make it to the Red Earth Festival in time.  Missing that opportunity ate at me with a self berating canker sore.  If I had gotten out the door a little sooner, taken that back route, not stopped to pick out a handful of exquisite rocks that first day.  Or maybe if I had skipped travelling 20 minutes off the beaten path to treat the kids to a low cost amusement park in Amarillo only to get there and find it didn't open for 45 minutes.  And then to wait that 45 minutes only to find that the cost was significantly more than I had understood from the website.  Maybe I would have made it in time.  Now I'd missed an essentially once in a lifetime experience.  How often would I be passing through Oklahoma City?  And what were the chances that the next time I pass through would bring me during the festival?

"Stop castigating yourself!  Learn from the mistake and take what you have and do the best with it."  I reminded myself.  I must be more forgiving of myself, and others. Instead of internal negative reinforcement, I must remember to focus on a positive mantra.  "It's OK."  Easy enough.

The next day we were back on schedule, making it to both 14 Flags Museum and Jean Petit Park.  In turn, we were able to make it to our folks on time Sunday afternoon.  Congratulating myself, I took stock of what I had learned in order to prepare for our return trip:

1.  For every hour we travel, we will need 20 minutes in circling around attempting to find our destination, and bathroom and meal stops.
2.  It doesn't matter if I do not leave a stop until both of my kids have used the potty.  They will have to go again 15 minutes later, and 15 minutes again after that.  Their bowels are not in sync, and they will not operate on demand.
3.  Check my timing before detouring for an adventure.  If I am not on target, including time zone differences, evaluate the importance of the attraction versus ensuing destinations.  Skip it if I can't make a more valuable experience by sticking to the original plan.