Grandma

Grandma
Grandma

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Just Not Keeping Up

I'm not keeping up with this thing, and I know it.  Sorry, if anyone is reading it.  If so, do you know of any good podcasts?  That is one of the items I forgot on my list of things to do in preparation for our trip:  collect music. 

Also on that list is to review the child safety restraint and passenger laws for each of the states we'll be travelling through.  My oldest is 8 and sits in the front seat.  In our situation that is safest because of his autism condition.  When he's in the back he's wreaking such havoc that I can't pay attention to the road.  Our passenger airbag also turns off, and the seat goes far enough back that there's no chance of airbag injury.  California allows for passengers of 6 years or more to ride in the front, so given our situation, that is how we travel.  However, do other states require children to be older than 8 to ride in the front?  What about car seats?  Is a booster seat enough in all the other states for a 4 year old?  Do any actually require a booster for an 8 year old (I'm thinking California may have them beat with our state recommendation to keep kids in one until the age of 8.) 

I also want to see about travel DVD players.  I think they could make a big difference in our sanity.  There's only so much of the alphabet game you can play.  Nor do I know if my 4 year old can survive that game. 

Then I'm realizing that in order to visit 2 parks a day, I'll pretty much have to drive to one the night before so we can visit it first thing in the morning, and select the second one within about a 4 - 6 hour drive.  That may not be realistic.  We may really only be able to stop at one attraction a day.  I've really got to sit down and start the heavy planning and mapping.  It was on the agenda for this weekend...