Grandma

Grandma
Grandma

Sunday, April 25, 2010

New Tires

My tires were bald, and I was holding out on replacing them out of sheer indignation.  My Honda Civic had easily travelled 80,000 miles on the cheapest tires.  Why was my new car only putting in 40,000 miles before wearing out the tires?  But with my last oil change the mechanics confirmed that not only were the tires bald, they were almost through to the core. 

Me, I've got a reasonably good head for money.  Call me frugal.  So I didn't take the best deal Firestone had to offer.  I spent the first part of the week calling around checking out prices.  Goodyear offered me a good deal at $90 per tire, but they wanted $15 more per tire to balance them.  Since I had purchased a lifetime balance and rotation through Firestone, I scheduled the tires with Goodyear and called Firestone to schedule a balance.  Much to my surprise they informed me that the lifetime balance was only for the life of the tires, not the life of the vehicle.  This is not what I remembered being told when I purchased the plan, so I was pretty upset, and the mechanic was in turn very short with me.  Back to pricing my options.

The next shop I called offered me 4 Cooper 80,000 miles for $370, including installation, tax and balance, but the tires wouldn't be there until Tuesday.  Could I wait?  I decided I had to.  So I called Goodyear to cancel, who in turn beat the deal.  Justin offered me the same deal plus an oil change, a $50 rebate, and I'd have my tires Saturday as needed.  Furthermore, their alignment was just $59. 

So now I've got a happy car rolling on 4 new wheels, and we're ready, mechanically, for our trip! 

Next I just have to see if I can fully trust Justin.  He didn't give me the coupon for the oil change before I left, so I'll have to see if they honor it without any problems when I call to redeem the offer.